Saturday, May 11, 2013

Lorraine Nora


20x16" Oil on Stretched Linen
SOLD

Lorraine Nora is the grandmother of my Number One Nephew's wife.  Lorraine's family calls her "Bobo" (Chinese pronunciation is "Baba").  I have never met Lorraine, but I will tell you what I know about her.  In her eighties, she attended her beautiful granddaughter's destination wedding in Mexico, sponsored a family skydiving excursion in California, in which she PARTICIPATED, and somewhere along the way went ZIP LINING.  In every photo I studied for this portrait, she has a joyful expression.  In the photo of this particular pose, she is leaning toward her new great-granddaughter (my great-niece!)  It is evident that Bobo is beloved by her devoted family, and I suspect by all who have known her.

Lorraine has been in hospice for the past few weeks.  My sister commissioned this portrait as a gift for her daughter-in-law,  and yesterday I spent the majority of the day, on into the night until 3am working on it.  This morning, I sent a photo of the portrait to my sister, and subsequently learned that Bobo had passed away early this morning.   No, I have never met Lorraine Nora, but I feel honored and humbled to have spent the last several hours of her life studying her sweet, lovely face.



No comments: